gethostbyname(my_name) and IL2-Sturmovik CONTINUED

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 02:52:42 CDT 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007 17:59, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
> > > (I suspect that the app developer is misguided, because binding
> > > to just one interface doesn't work well if you have multiple
> > > interfaces, but that's neither here nor there.)
> >
> > Well, actually the developer of the app in #7929 is misguided because
> > he's using gethostbyname() with winsock 2.2, which MSDN claims is
> > deprecated. Oh well.
>
> It should be noted that the app in bug #7929 (Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium
> Wars) does not run networking correctly on Windows when two interfaces are
> present.

I'm not really surprised. That's the reason why gethostbyname  is deprecated,
if I read MSDN correctly. Anyhow, it looks like Windows doesn't return
127.0.0.1 unless it doesn't have any other IP address to return. Programs
can't count on which NIC's IP that will be, though.

I'm working on a patch for this, but it might take me a while, I'll be on the
SambaXP conference tomorrow through thursday.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin, <kai Dot blin At gmail Dot com>
WorldForge developer    http://www.worldforge.org/