Uninstaller: 2 questions

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:39:21 CDT 2007

On 25.04.2007 19:58, Steven Edwards wrote:
>> Why do we show a dialog if there are no uninstall entries found in the
>> registry?  Windows does not do that, and I think we shouldn't either.
>
> I agree.

So a user starts the uninstall app but doesn't see a dialog... and
probably thinks it's a bug. On the other hand, just showing a dialog
with an empty list makes it clear that there's nothing to uninstall and
will probably not produce false bug reports.

> I just worry we will get in to a
> situation where the uninstall partly worked and uninstall.exe goes
> ahead, removes the entry and then the user is left with old files
> floating around. Better to leave the entry and then the next time they
> try to run it, prompt them to just remove the offending entry.

Or perhaps don't ask but just remove the entry?

-f.r.