quicken 2007 ungodly slow

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Apr 29 14:49:55 CDT 2007

On 4/29/07, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> p.s. I don't have kernel symbols because I haven't figured
> out how to find vmlinux on ubuntu yet, nor does ubuntu
> make it easy to compile one.  (vmlinuz won't do, nor do
> I know how to uncompress it.)

Several people said "Duh, just run [zcat/bzcat/gunzip/...]"
but it seems to not be that simple:

$ bzcat vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic > /dev/null
bzcat: vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic is not a bzip2 file.
$ zcat vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic > /dev/null
zcat: vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic: not in gzip format
$  file vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic: Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS,
root_dev 0x6801, swap_dev 0x1, Normal VGA

On the theory that maybe it's simply named vmlinuz but
not really compressed, I tried symlinking it to vmlinux...
oprofile was a bit happier, but couldn't read any symbols.

So I guess I'll just go ask the friendly neighborhood ubuntu
developer.  (The tech lead for google's desktop linux, which
is just ubuntu with a g on it, sits about twenty meters from my
desk...)
- Dan