EVE Regression?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Aug 1 15:39:08 CDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2007 09:50 schrieb Stephan Rose:
> Starting with wine 0.9.42 I continuously get the following error trying
> to start EVE:
>
> fixme:d3d_draw:drawPrimitive Using software emulation because not all
> material properties could be tracked
>
> And I just get a black screen for the login screen and it'll just sit
> there forever like that.
>
> The error keeps being reported over and over until I close the window.
>
> Everything worked very well with 0.9.41
Do a regression test and report a bug:

http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine, 6.1. Regression testing

Eve worked for me yesterday when I tried it.

The fixme written is not an error, it is a sign of the proper fix for the
lines in the starmap. EVE uses a lighting setup which cannot be set up in
opengl, so we have to fall back to a slow rendering path, doing a sort of
software emulation. I have added the rather noisy fixme to get a warning when
other games show the same behavior. The problem can be fixed properly with a
fixed function pipeline replacement shader, but this would be a lot of work.
Specifically for eve, the lighting setup is equal to disabling lighting
entirely. We could make use of that, but it would be a really nasty
application specific hack.