ANNOUNCE: Wine/Mono Regression Test Suite

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Aug 7 16:11:33 CDT 2007

Matt wrote:
> ...I've found that running the mono regression test suite has
> given me a better idea of how to approach debugging mono/wine.
> http://mhjones.org/wine/wine-tests/wine-test-reader.tar.gz

I downloaded this and had a look just now.
The instructions still refer to the deprecated 1.1 branch of
mono, and I hear to run on wine, one needs something newer
than the latest released version of mono.  So I tried building
mono from the trunk.

My dapper system was missing some things mono seems
to need, so I expanded on the script in the readme a bit,
and came up with

#!/bin/sh
set -xe
MONOBUILDDIR=/data/dkegel/mono-cvs

mcs --version || sudo apt-get install mono-devel
libtool --version || sudo apt-get install libtool
automake-1.9 --version || sudo apt-get install automake1.9
automake --version | grep 1.9 || sudo update-alternatives --set
automake /usr/bin/automake-1.9

mkdir -p $MONOBUILDDIR
cd $MONOBUILDDIR
svn co svn://anonsvn.mono-project.com/source/trunk/mono
cd mono
./autogen.sh --build i486-linux-gnu
make

This goes well for a while, but fails with

/bin/sh: line 1: cd: ../../mcs: No such file or directory
if test -w ../../mcs; then :; else chmod -R +w ../../mcs; fi
chmod: cannot access `../../mcs': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [all-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/google/bigdata/dkegel/mono-cvs/mono/runtime'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/google/bigdata/dkegel/mono-cvs/mono'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can you update your README to show how to build some flavor
of mono-1.2 that runs under Wine?

Thanks,
Dan