exporting file associations for linux desktops

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:55:51 CDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com> wrote:
> As it is right now, we have a filetype/association system in Wine's
> registry, and we have a completely separate one in most Linux
> desktops. They do not talk to each other. Wine's system relies
> primarily on extensions because that's what Windows does, but the
> Linux system works based on MIME Types.
>
> I would like to see this gap bridged in one direction by exporting the
> information in Wine's registry in a simplified format and converting
> it to something useful for Linux desktops. From what I've seen so far,
> this looks surprisingly simple.

It sounds to me something like winemenubuilder should be extended to
register the mimetype when a new extension is registered in Wine. I
mean I think it would be safe to assume if a user installs application
foo under Wine then they would want application foo to be able to be
used from the Linux Desktop via the menutype. Maybe another tab should
be added to winecfg to manage mimetypes that are handled by wine.

--
Steven Edwards