Our wiki software is ugly

Mitchell Mebane mitchell.mebane at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:20:18 CDT 2007

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 21:25 -0500, Mitchell Mebane wrote:
>
>> Scott Ritchie wrote:
>>
>>> Our wiki software needs a major update, especially as we start to expect
>>> users to actually read it.
>>>
>>> For instance, look at the FAQ page:
>>>
>>> Then, click on edit and see how it should look.  From what I can tell,
>>> there are a few obvious errors:
>>>
>>> 1) The wiki software is completely ignoring line breaks.  I could hit
>>> return 4 times and the HTML rendered would be on subsequent lines,
>>> without a break or paragraph tag between them.
>>> 2) For some completely strange reason, if you make a list item that
>>> includes a link then the entire list item will be in a smaller font.
>>> This makes for extremely weird and inconsistent lists when a link to
>>> another wiki page is included in some, but not all, of the items.
>>>

>> This is due to http://wiki.winehq.com/wiki/winehq/css/screen.css
>>
>> #pagebar {
>>     font-size: 1em;
>> }
>>
>> Making links overrides this style, and the preview page does not have
>> this problem, because the content of the preview page is not enclosed in
>> the #pagebar element.
>>
>> Not sure about the others yet.  Could you elaborate on #3 a bit more?
>>
>> --Mitchell Mebane
>>

>>> 3) Header text is almost impossible to figure out right, and there is
>>> absolutely no standard of what we should do.
>>>
>>> Is there a reason we chose the software we did?  Would it be too hard to
>>> migrate to something else, or at least fix the display bugs?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott Ritchie
>>>

> Regarding header text: do I use 1 = sign, or two, or three, or four, or
> even five?  Pages vary considerably around the entire wiki, though this
> might be our fault as authors rather than the software.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

You should start out with 1 level - i.e., a top-level section.  Multiple
equals signs should be used for sub-sections.
E.g.,
= Section 1=
== Sub-section 1.1 ==
== Sub-section 1.2 ==
=== Sub-sub-section 1.2.1 ===
= Section 2 =

Unfortunately, it seems they are often used for the same reason many
people (ab)use the various <hx> tags HTML - to gain a certain font size,
rather than for semantic meaning.

--Mitchell Mebane