Problems with focus losing on virtual desktops

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:54:22 CDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Christian Authmann <spam at authmann.de> wrote:
> Jesse Allen schrieb:
>
> > I don't have much to comment on this one other than if you can prove
> > that this is not a behavior in windows, then you should probably open
> > a bug report.
>
> I don't even know if it's a wine bug, it might as well be d2, the window
> manager or a windows design issue.
> It works fine when explorer.exe is present in wine (i.e. virtual desktop
> mode) but fails when it's not. I never checked what happens to d2 in
> windows when explorer.exe isn't there. And I don't feel like wasting a
> day to get a working windows installation which allows me to kill explorer.
> It's really not an issue, virtual desktop mode is superior to diablo's
> window mode anyway: diablo defaults to slow and ugly direct2d rendering
> when started with -w.
>
> Hence no bug report.

Oh that's right. That's another reason why the window option from the
game is pretty much a "hack"; it only allows ddraw mode.

> >> b) Using d2 in fullscreen mode inside wine's virtual desktop: d2 will
> >
> > This problem sounds like is caused by the design of the game. We can't fix this.
>
> How is this the game's fault?
> Of course, minimizing on losing focus is the game's fault/feature, but
> thinking that the focus has been lost when it clearly hasn't (or the
> other way round) is a bug. Something has to tell the game "you lost
> focus". These problems didn't happen in older wine versions (even 0.9.2x
> where focus losing was possible) and don't happen on windows.

Windows doesn't have virtual desktop.

> I've just tested with a different application inside a virtual desktop,
> watching the window title to see if it's active or not. In short: This
> broken focus behaviour on virtual desktops isn't limited to d2.

Which application is this?

> Moving the virtual desktop window with Hotkey+drag: lost focus.
> I've noticed that kwin seems to contribute to this. Hotkey-dragging a
> xev-window leads to these entries (keypress-events removed):
>
> -- snip --
>
> now the additional FocusOut/FocusIn seems weird and may well be a kwin
> bug that leads to this issues. Again, wine handles this good on regular
> windows, but bad inside a virtual desktop.
>
> After closing the opened app so that the virtual desktop (or xev in this
> case) receives focus again, it'll get a simple FocusIn event, which
> activates the virtual desktop window, but deactivates the application
> window inside.

This seems correct behavior to me, if the wine windows are confined to
the virtual desktop. But someone else can comment.

> > This ALT key problem seems like the window manager is still
> > intercepting the ALT key somehow (even though certain keystrokes are
> > disabled). I'll test for this and tell you whether that's my
> > conclusion.
>
> thank you.
> I've tried testing with a couple of different window managers, but they
> all had Alt+click bound to window moving, so I couldn't test.
> Maybe it is KWin-specific (or specific to my configuration), but it'll
> still only happen inside virtual desktops, never on native linux windows
> or d2 outside a virtual desktop.
>
> Is there something like xev for windows I could use for further testing?

Like I said, windows doesn't have "virtual desktop"

Jesse