#winehq admin abuse

Jonathan Challinger mr.challinger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 13:27:04 CDT 2007

Jan Zerebecki, I'd be happy to help, but how? I could develop some
guidelines and rules for admins to follow, but then what? How would they be
enforced? I have no authority to put such things in place. Its not the
writing rules that's hard, its the enforcing them. Here: i'll write them
now:
Either participate politely or don't participate at all
Break up flamewars, don't start them.

James Keane, "oh well" is a valid answer to my question that would have
solved my problem? I think you're getting mixed up between caretto and I.
"He is not our employee we can not reprimand him for his actions and neither
can you."
There needs to be some kind of structure, though. Presumably, unless he's
the project leader, there's someone who can take away his admin privileges.
There should be guidelines for how admins behave, and admins who don't
behave according to said guidelines should have their admin privileges
suspended or removed.

Abel Chiaro, he said "I don't f*** care where you download the file to
caretto, not me.

Tom Wickline, I am Pie-rate, not carretto. I still don't agree with how he
handled carretto. Maybe the community should try appointing admins based on
people skills, not coding skills?

The problem here is I asked a question in a help channel, not to him
specifically, but he answered it just to state that he doesn't care. He then
banned me for voicing concern over whether he should be doing such things.

Juan, I think I sent my previous message to you instead of the list. Sorry
for sending it to you twice.
Ok, no one really got the message here. I guess it really wasn't clear, and
that's my fault.
I am Pie-rate. The comment about windows was probably offtopic, but its not
nearly as ridiculous as vitamin cussing out both caretto and I, and banning
me for voicing concern over the fact that an admin is doing such things.
vitamin: carretto, I do not f*** care where you download
the file.
vitamin: Pie-rate, STFU if you have nothing to say
Ok, the swearing is really not that bad. I don't really care if someone
swears at me. What really gets me angry is that vitamin *banned* me for
voicing a perfectly valid point, when vitamin answered a question with "oh
well," without trying to help, and before anyone else tried to help. As I
said, this would be rude if he was some random guy, but he's an admin. As I
said before, this is like inviting someone to an installfest, and then
spitting in their face and saying "STFU RTFM GO AWAY AND GOOGLE." All it
does is makes people distance themselves from OSS as far as possible.

"This is an invitation to flame if ever I saw one, and if civility flies out
the window, it begins here."
No, civility flies out the window HERE:
(09:44:34 PM) vitamin: Pie-rate, oh well
and HERE:
vitamin: carretto, I do not f*** care where you download

Civility is important to a degree in the freenode channels, but swearing
like a sailor while banning people who complain about it is just ridiculous.
As an admin, you should be helping politely or not helping at all, and
breaking up flamewars, not starting them.

As for the fix to my problem, that's completely beside the point now.

I hope that clears some things up.