#winehq admin abuse

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 14:34:07 CDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Jonathan Challinger <mr.challinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Below is a log of #winehq, from 9:44 to 10:09 on Wednesday August 15th:
> (09:43:50 PM) Pie-rate: my brother's girlfriend's WoW install is
> crashing (locking up, stops responding) randomly. she will install
> windows tomorrow if it doesn't get fixed. i don't like windows and i
> don't want to deal with it. the message it crashes with is:
> (09:43:50 PM) Pie-rate: err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section
> 0x509da8c "?" wait timed out in thread 0047, blocked by 003e, retrying
> (60 sec)
> (09:43:50 PM) Pie-rate: this is with an install copied over from my
> computer, which i KNOW works flawlessly, and wine 0.9.41

First of all, you posed your comments without directly asking for
help. Second, what you stated is good as useless to solving the
problem as far as wine is concerned. I've seen plenty of non-wine
support requests in the past saying "my computer don't work! it needs
to be fixed!" Well what is it really that doesn't work? That needs to
be explained. All the error message you wrote
"err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x509da8c "?" wait timed
out in thread 0047, blocked by 003e, retrying (60 sec)" effectively
means is that the app is hung -- same thing. Pretty non-descript.
Doesn't describe the root of the problem.

As for the rest of the description, you clearly state that the game
works on another system. This more likely means that Wine is not at
fault here (if indeed same version), and could be that your system
configuration, drivers, or hardware is at fault. You need to compare
the two systems and narrow down the problem. I recommend that is what
you should do. I'm not interested in stepping you through it as there
is no magic solution. Vitamin was obviously disinterested too.

> (09:57:50 PM) Pie-rate: vitamin: Read the topic. "End user/tech support
> channel for Wine." A derogatory-sounding "oh well" is nothing more than
> flamebait. Either say nothing, or help. That's what I try to do, and
> that's what's in the best interest of the project. I believe you are a
> channel admin, correct? Saying "oh well," without even trying to help is
> rude, but saying "oh well" without even trying to help, as a channel
> admin? That's like inviting people to an installfest, and then when they
> ask for help installing something saying "OH WELL" and spitting in their
> faces.

This and the especially the last sentence is clearly a provocation.
You're effectively saying vitamin spits on people. No wonder he blew
up after that. And this comment:

> (09:59:55 PM) Pie-rate: vitamin: bit testy, today?

You were just asking to get banned, which you were then. There was no
longer a point on being there if you were going to talk about him and
not wine.

So was he mean for doing that? Sure. But do you claim you weren't
mean? After all he was only there to try to help. Having someone be
considerate to you starts with you. Lets go to the install-fest
example. Do the helpers know every solution? Why would they begin to
help you if they don't? "Oh well" is more like, "I can't help you",
not the to the extreme, "spitting on someone". As I already told you,
there is no easy way of fixing your problem. IMO you were rude to
vitamin.

Jesse