Direct3D 10 design considerations

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sat Aug 18 07:17:24 CDT 2007

On Saturday 18 August 2007 13:59, H. Verbeet wrote:
> What it comes down to is that there are two things we have to make a
> decision about:
>   - Do we want to support GL3 in the existing wined3d?
>   - Do we want to support D3D10 on top of the existing wined3d?
>
> I've got a slight preference towards at least trying to support both
> with the same wined3d, mostly for maintainability reasons. Iow, I
> think it will be a major pain if we have to fix bugs in 2 or 3 copies
> of the same code.

From what I have seen GL3 is very different. It would be like maintaining a
GTK and a QT backend in one library. They use very different calls
(glBegin/glEnable and so are gone), need different WGL contexts and so on.

Sure in case of a wined3d-gl3 you'll end up fixing bugs twice. But for quite a
number of bugs you'll need to patch both gl2 and gl3 anyway.

Second what do you guys things of regressions? We really should keep
ddraw/d3d7/d3d8/d3d9 stable. Else it will take another 3 months before it is
in a decent shape again.

My suggestion would be to create a new wined3d with the same interface as the
current wined3d. If needed ddraw/d3d8/d3d9 can use this wined3d too.
Personally I would add d3d9ex.dll like on Vista which can use wined3d-gl3.

Roderick