Direct3D 10 design considerations

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 07:34:23 CDT 2007

On 18/08/07, Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmx.net> wrote:
> From what I have seen GL3 is very different. It would be like maintaining a
> GTK and a QT backend in one library. They use very different calls
> (glBegin/glEnable and so are gone), need different WGL contexts and so on.
>
> Sure in case of a wined3d-gl3 you'll end up fixing bugs twice. But for quite a
> number of bugs you'll need to patch both gl2 and gl3 anyway.

That's true, but there's also a rather large part of wined3d that's
not GL specific in the first place. The most obvious examples are most
of the shader stuff and state management, but that's certainly not
all.

> Second what do you guys things of regressions? We really should keep
> ddraw/d3d7/d3d8/d3d9 stable. Else it will take another 3 months before it is
> in a decent shape again.

I don't think it'll be much worse then what we're doing at the
moment... (yeah, I'm bisecting another regression at the moment).

> My suggestion would be to create a new wined3d with the same interface as the
> current wined3d. If needed ddraw/d3d8/d3d9 can use this wined3d too.
> Personally I would add d3d9ex.dll like on Vista which can use wined3d-gl3.

I certainly wouldn't discard that option either. Keeping things
together, if possible, is just a slight preference. As for d3d9ex, it
appears to mostly be d3d9 with some extra flags in a couple of places.
I've got no idea if anyone is actually using it, or will be, but it
shouldn't be particularly hard to add.