[patch] Garbage code in text string display

Guan Xin guanx.bac at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:45:52 CDT 2007

Q: Can you give a simple example of such a program (preferably downloadable)?
A: Yes. If you have Simplified Chinese environment, you can try:
http://update.cz88.net/soft/qqwry.rar
which is a freeware for IP address-to-geographical address
translation. Before patching WINE, most (though not all) labels
and all buttons show garbage code. None after.

Q:Can you add a conformance test showing that your patch is correct?
A: I have tried editplus, acdsee, and gvim in en_US and
zh_CN.GBK locale/encodings. They all ran well. I also tried
the German version of winrar in de locale, no problem either.
I don't think we need to prove this patch is correct because
it is certainly wrong and introduced a bug. However,
`any sufficiently advanced bug becomes a feature'.
In the source code of Microsoft Windows NT/2k/XP,
or to be excact, in the file
"private/windows/shell/accesory/spechars/charmap.c"
they confessed there is a bug in GDI that
`assumes the font's default charset is always the
system default locale'.

I know peeking into The source code is illegal,
but I've only done this some 24 hrs after I submitted
this patch. So this patch has nothing to do with
my undesirable deed.

Xin