Using pthread_create within Wine

Phil Lodwick Phil.Lodwick at EFI.COM
Wed Aug 22 13:30:41 CDT 2007

Greetings,

I have a proprietary library that has both Windows and Linux ports.  The
Windows DLL has problems running on Wine, so I have created a builtin version
of this DLL in Wine.  This has worked fine, except for one function that
basically creates a new thread and fires back events to the calling Window
application.  I believe I have traced this down to the Linux version of the
library creating the new thread with pthread_create.

Windows.exe

Call_dll_to_spawn_thread_and_register_callback(MyCallbackfunc);

Windows DLL implemented in wine:

                void * NewThread(void *p)

                {

                                MyParams *params = (MyParams *)p;

                                for (i = 0; i < 500000; i++)

                                                p->Callback();

                }

                void Call_dll_to_spawn_thread_and_register_callback(void
(*callback)())

                {

                                MyParams *params = (MyParams
*)malloc(sizeof(MyParams));

                                params->Callback = callback;

                                pthread_create(&MyThread, NULL, NewThread,
(void *)params);

                }

If instead of using pthread_create I use CreateThread, I never have a
problem.   I notice no other wine DLLs are using pthread_create and I have
seen hints that this might not work.  If so, how do I use the Linux library.
(Call_dll_to_spawn_thread_and_register_callback is just simulating what the
Linux library would do)

Do I create a separate thread using CreateThread to communicate back to the
Window application, so that Call_dll_to_spawn_thread_and_register_callback
effectively creates two threads, one using CreateThread (Wine DLL), one using
pthread_create (Linux Library) and then do synchronization between the two?

Any help, suggestion, ideas, questions would be greatly appreciated.

Phil