Will ROS and WINE still be steady be synchronized ?

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Tue Aug 28 09:33:26 CDT 2007

Tirsdag 28 august 2007 15:48, skrev theUser BL:
> Hi!
>
> I have also ask the question in a mail in the ROS-Mailinglist -- until now
> there comes now answer.
> http://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ros-dev/2007-August/009718.html
>
> Will ReactOS and WINE still be steady synchronized?
>
> ROS have for example an other Notepad.exe and an other Wordpad.exe
> The WineMINE have on ROS the colors of the original Windows WinMine.

I think the colours of Wine's WineMine were chosen deliberately.

> And the cards.dll have other cards.
> AT first it used the cards of
> http://nifty.stanford.edu/2004/EstellCardGame/
> But after the comment of
> http://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ros-dev/2007-July/009625.html
> it used the cards at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/macsolitairex
>
> WINE on the other side used since the beginning of its cards.dll the
> Microsoft copyrighted cards, which are also part of MS-Windows.

Wine is not using the Microsoft cards.

> So, for me it seems, that ROS and WINE goes two different ways since some
> time without syncronizing the source-codes, which can be used for both
> projects.
>
> Is that true?
>
> And if yes: Why?

ReactOS has been known for disassembling Microsoft binaries, which is illegal
in some countries, notably the US.  We want anyone to be able to work on and
use Wine without fear of getting sued, therefore we cannot accept code from
ReactOS unless it somehow can be established that it has not been
disassembled.

There is nothing preventing ReactOS from borrowing Wine code, however.

> Greatings
> theuserbl

Alexander N. Sørnes