getting started...

Paul Chitescu paulc at voip.null.ro
Tue Aug 28 10:04:08 CDT 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Ed Sutter wrote:

>>> Anyway, if it makes more sense for me to just report problems that I have
>>> with uCon when running it on wine, that's fine with me.  Bottom line is
>>> I will do whatever is most appropriate/helpful/efficient to get it running
>>> and that includes doing some wine code if necessary.
>>>
>>> I also have no problem with changing things in uCon to make it work better
>>> with wine.  Whichever works best.  I'm open for suggestions.
>>

>> Step 1 is: file a bug for the worst problem, and let's see what we can
>> do about it!
> My problem there is that I'm stuck with RH9 at the moment, and it appears
> that the latest Wine RPM for RH9 is 0.9.2.  I see a few bugs already
> in bugzilla related to serial com port issues; not quite the same problem
> as I am seeing.  So I can file a bug report, but I would expect that the
> first (legitimate) response will be that I need to run with the latest
> version.  Is there any newer Wine RPM for RH9?  Or do I need to get a
> new machine?  :-(
> Ed

As far as I remember (a long time ago...) RH9's glibc is one of the first
to support NPTL and there were some bugs. Also take care that not all RH9
provided kernels offer NPTL support (and that is required for wine).

You can eventually try to install wine from sources but you may get stuck
with old libraries that are not detected properly of have not enough
capabilities. There will be font related problems as support has evolved a
lot meantime.

Thinking about having 6 versions of Fedora Core newer than RH9, you should
really consider an upgrade.

Paul Chitescu