try2:patch for sysparams.c

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Thu Aug 30 11:07:56 CDT 2007

On Thursday August 30 2007 14:21, Robert Shearman wrote:
> L. Rahyen wrote:
> > On Thursday August 30 2007 07:03, you wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have corrected a patch. Now font in the menu and a font in winecfg
> >> coincides.
> >
> > 	Please note that your patch behaves even worse at higher DPI
> > resolutions. For example if I set:
> >
> > "LogPixels"=dword:00000096
> >
> > 	...In system.reg then menu font is of ridiculosly big size.
>
> I'm not surprised. 0x96 = 150

	Yes, and in both Windows and current WINE (without the patch) this looks very
good (as it should) on my 22" display! Just compare attached screenshots
(please note that I have scaled down them by 50% in order to save the
bandwidth).

	"broken.jpg" shows problem I'm talking about. This is with clean WINE with
clean WINEPREFIX *with* applied last version of patch that was sent to me
privately. As you can see, notepad's dialog and its menu is of ridiculously
big size! Behind notepad and winecfg you can see Windows with default font
size but with DPI set to 150 (WINE DPI setting is same). Menu in notepad and
its dialog is of normal size in Windows, everything looks very nice. Note
that all fonts in Windows are of same size no matter what DPI I set there.
	"clean.jpg" is made using clean WINE with clean WINEPREFIX with LogPixels set
to 150 DPI. Behind you can see Windows (in VMWare). Please note that because
of clean WINEPREFIX fonts are somewhat different but their system-default
size and DPI setting in WINE and Windows are the same here. As you can see,
with clean WINE without the patch everything looks as it should. Even the
dialog box in both WINE and Windows is of almost same size ("almost" because
of somewhat different fonts and different titlebars). This proofs correct
behavior of current clean WINE and shows that it respects LogPixels value
correctly.

	My impression is that the patch Ivan Sinitsin proposing is a hack to make
font size in menu/dialog/status bar bigger in every application because 1C
application displays smaller fonts there than others.
	But in its current state this hack is very destructive (as you can see in
above example). And of course if on Windows 1C applications behaves in the
same way WINE should behave like this too.
	In fact I have seen (and even use some of them on regular basis) Windows
applications which set small font size in some GUI elements even with big DPI
setting so I will not be surprised if 1C application in question is just
another one.