xdg_user_dirs patches

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Dec 1 19:08:45 CST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Steven Edwards wrote:
[...]
> I think teaching them about .lnk files is a better solution. It should not be
> to hard to have a mime type of *.lnk that invokes Wine and passes the
> shortcut to the link processor. Really all GNOME & KDE need to do
> with *.lnk files is have the ability to follow a small part of them to the
> binary in question and load the Icon data from the resource section.

Great. Now KDE and Gnome will have a PE loader and windows resource
parser. Plus when the .lnk points to a document they may have to load
the Windows registry to see what icon Windows associated with that
document, especially if that document type is not present in the
Gnome/KDE MIME database.

Plus, how do you know where 'c:\Program Files\Foo\Bar.exe' is?

[...]
> I agree with Juan having multiple "Desktop" directories does not work
> and it will confuse users. Wine already has enough places were we do
> that and we should not add even more.

What Wine could do is try to sync the Unix and Windows desktops with FAM
magic, all while not replicating the .lnk files to the Unix desktop.

    Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?