xdg_user_dirs patches

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 21:26:13 CST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 8:08 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> Great. Now KDE and Gnome will have a PE loader and windows resource
> parser. Plus when the .lnk points to a document they may have to load
> the Windows registry to see what icon Windows associated with that
> document, especially if that document type is not present in the
> Gnome/KDE MIME database.

As apple has show recently, having a minimal PE loader and resource
parser does not take a lot of code but we really don't even need
that...

See if my logic makes sense for how this would work. I don't
understand why the document type would not be registered in the MIME
database. I assume that the Windows association information would be
synced everytime the user installs an application and winemenubuilder
is called. Say you have sol.lnk on the desktop
GNOME and KDE should be smart enough to parse sol.lnk and actually
display Solitaire or Solitaire (Windows) or something. This "fake"
shortcut would actually just be resident in memory of the WM process.

> Plus, how do you know where 'c:\Program Files\Foo\Bar.exe' is?

What this means is that on logon or logoff the WM would call our
function and generate these fake Shortcuts for the *.lnk files by
running a copy of winepath after calling the Wine shelllink processor.
The results of winepath would translate 'c:\Program Files\Foo\Bar.exe'
in to '~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Foo/Bar.exe
and pass that to the array in memory containing the "fake" shortcuts.

> What Wine could do is try to sync the Unix and Windows desktops with FAM
> magic, all while not replicating the .lnk files to the Unix desktop.

Yes I am talking about using something like FAM but having it look for
*.lnk changes on the users Linux desktop. Evertime a FAM event occors
such as an install
of a Windows application with a desktop shelllink, the array
containing the "fake" shortcuts in the WM is updated. When the user
logs off, this data is lost. The WM gets to keep the Windows and Linux
Desktop's in sync without having to actually mess with generating new
shortcuts and or confusing the user by having multiple directories.

Thanks
Steven

--
Steven Edwards