wine proccess list

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:53:01 CST 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 09:07:15 pm Pavel Troller wrote:
>   Because wine (and windows apps) sometimes crash and remain running, doing
> nothing useful but eating CPU/memory, and not being able to be killed
> easily (even killing the window doesn't close the app reliably). For this
> case, it's most easy to execute "killall -KILL <some static name like
> wine/wine-pthread>" instead of doing ps axufw, searching for the name of
> the app and then killing it. I had a single-liner script called kw (kill
> wine) and doing exactly the above command, and a beutifull bomb icon
> calling it. Now I can't se it - even killing wineserver sometimes doesn't
> help.

IIRC, running 'wineserver -k' will kill wineserver and its processes. It's
always worked for me, even on apparently stuck programs.

Though both methods (killall with a static wine process name and
wineserver -k) will kill all wine/windows processes, even ones that are
running fine. It's easier to killall a specific .exe named process, than
using ps -fel to look for the PID and using regular kill on it.