[5/5] gdi: Test bitmap depths

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 12 10:34:07 CST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 16:15:11 schrieb Dmitry Timoshkov:
> No, I don't. I'd say that even with a technically 15 bpp screen depth
> video memory organization a driver would still say "16" in the user
> visible settings to avoid a possible user confusion, but report "15"
> on the API level.
>
> A google search "15 bpp screen depth site:microsoft.com" finds some info
> about this.
Most of the pages found are about Windows CE / Windows Mobile, and others
contain the words "15" and "bpp" without any connection between them. The
only interesting bit I found was the first hit, which states that "15 bpp"
translates to "32,768 (32K) colors".

However, some pages which look Windows Mobile related suggst that the remote
desktop feature can be configured to use 15 bpp. Maybe we can set a terminal
server into that mode and see what the API returns?

Another disturbing thing about 15 bpp is the complete lack of 15 bpp formats
in the DirectX API.

Also, if Windows supports 15 bpp displays, why does a normal Windows refuse to
create 15 bpp bitmaps? Even if it is running at 8, 16, 24 or 32 bpp, it
accepts 1, 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit bitmaps, but never 15 bit ones.

Perhaps 15 bpp is one of the features that were once planned, so Feng Juan
wrote about it, but no driver uses it and it is dead and nonfunctional in all
Windows versions?