[Wine] wine proccess list

Geoff Streeter geoff at dyalog.com
Wed Dec 12 03:00:50 CST 2007

At 2007-12-11 20:01, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
>Hi Gonzalo,
>
>Stefan Dösinger schreef:
> > Ow, ah, this is a different business. I think
> we use some Linux-only feature
> > to set the name, and Alexandre told me that
> at least MacOS doesn't have it. I
> > have no idea if there is a way to change the
> process name under BSD. If there
> > is, feel free to implement it and send a patch
> >
>A slightly hacky method is to copy the process to /tmp, rename it and
>execute it there. It would work for mac and bsd, but I have no idea
>wether Alexandre would accept it into wine.
>
>Cheers,
>Maarten.

Every time you installed a new app to run under
wine you could create a new hard link for wine
which had the requisite name. Use that name to
start wine and hay presto that's the name in the ps listing.

Warning: be very careful when you update wine
that you keep the same inode number otherwise all
of the links will point to the old wine. Or give
yourself a directory like
/usr/local/bin/wineapps, put the links in there.
Put it on your PATH. Then when you update wine,
run a simple script to relink them to the new wine.

Geoff