[5/5] gdi: Test bitmap depths

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:26:14 CST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 2:15 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Stefan Doesinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> > This obsolettes the 15 bpp bitmap and 16 bpp screen compatibility since
> > 15 bpp bitmaps do not exist.
>
> 15 bpp bitmaps do exist. According to the Feng Yuan's book that depends on
> the driver and hardware.

I almost bought that book, but got another one, unfortunately. There
are "15-bpp" bitmaps, but they are padded with an extra bit. Windows
does not have true 15-bpp aligned bitmaps. There are graphics cards
that do 15-bpp too, whether they do not have 16-bit screen depths I
don't know. I think windows obfuscates them and calls them all 16-bit
in gdi whether it does 15 or 16, and then it is up to the driver to do
it correctly. Unfortunately I do not have a card anymore that can do
15-bit modes.

Anyway if you try to select in a bitmap that says it is 15-bpp in the
format on windows, it will fail. Wine does not, and we probably need
test cases like this.