ENTER_GL and ActivateContext question

Alexander Dorofeyev alexd4 at inbox.lv
Mon Dec 17 01:38:47 CST 2007

Hi.

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Samstag, 15. Dezember 2007 12:19:36 schrieb Alexander Dorofeyev:
>> This seems to be specific to front buffer. Maybe
>> glFlush really should be called in BltOverride (or clearing subroutine) if
>> the target is front buffer?
> Yes, glFlush() has to be called when writing to the front buffer. SwapBuffers
> does an implicit flush, so for the back buffer you don't have to do anything,
> but the front buffer needs a glFlush(). It isn't there yet, so it should be
> added.

OK, I'll work on that. There seem to be more places with this issue, at least
UnlockRect appears to need it, it helps problems in one ddraw game I tested (Red
Alert 2). BTW, if no swapchain exists for a render target and iface ==
device->render_targets[0], it's a front buffer, right?

> The fbo activation you moved is a different problem. It needs to be fixed as
> well, but it is not as easy as swapping the calls :-( . Essentially,
> ActivateContext has to be called before the fbo setup, due to multithreading
> concerns. On the other hand, some things ActivateContext does fail if an fbo
> is active, so fbos must be set before activatecontext. Essentially we'll have
> to move fbo setup into ActivateContext, but this has some implications on
> multiple render targets and depth stencil swapping which need more
> investigation. OpenGL driver limitations play a role here as well.

Just to be sure, by fbo activation you mean LoadLocation(..., SFLAG_INDRAWABLE,
...) or apply_fbo_state? I think I only moved the former relative to
ActivateContext. At the moment I backtracked on that change anyway. Actually I
guess I was wrong that LoadLocation before ActivateContext may be a problem,
because in SFLAG_INDRAWABLE case LoadLocation seems to call either
surface_blt_to_drawable or flush_to_framebuffer_drawpixels both of which do
ActivateContext. GL calls are in other codepaths that won't be entered,
unfortunately I didn't notice it previous time. At least that's so at the moment.