loader: Add --compile-info option to Wine.

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Thu Dec 20 20:11:09 CST 2007

Rolf Kalbermatter schrieb:
> Peter Beutner wrote:
>
>> just tested again with current git and it worked with every gcc version
>> I had at hand here: 4.2.2, 4.1.2, 4.0.4 and 3.4.6.
>
> And what did you test there?

That safedisc 2.x works. Wine successfully passes the statistical code analysis.
And that also with gcc versions that reportedly caused problems on earlier wine
versions. So other people might want to recheck as well with whatever compiler
they are using.

> As far as I understood the issue, it's not that
> Wine won't work at all (at least for most of those gcc versions). Those gcc
> version will only emit much more code that modern copy protection schemes
> (Safe Disc, Secu Rom) with statistical code analysis will see as possible
> attempts to counterfeit them and consequently prevent starting applications
> protected by them.

yes, but also changes at the source code level can change the results of that
analysis. There were some specific changes for that between .48 and .49 that
drastically improved the situation. Unless you were using certain "broken"
gcc versions (broken is a bit too harsh, the main problem is after all only
that the function prolog sequence is ordered a bit differently).

Now some changes seems to have improved the situation even further, so that
even with those little differences between different gcc versions it
stays below the threshold where the safedisc analyzer would start complaining.

> As long as you do not want to run copy protected applications under Wine
> most of those gcc versions should just work fine.

sry, for not being more specific. I thought the context was clear as this whole
discussion was only about copy protection vs. different gcc versions.

btw., because you said "most of those gcc versions", is there a gcc version that
is known to not work with wine (beside these copy protection issues)?