Anyone know how to produce a win16 pkzip self-extractor?

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at
Mon Dec 24 12:37:08 CST 2007

Quoting Dan Kegel <dank at>:

I have tried with WinRAR 1.54, which is available at, and it works. I am not
sure if that's 16 or 32-bit, though. The resulting executable does not
work, by the way.

> To look into
> I wanted to create a 16 bit self-extracting archive.
> So I downloaded
> and followed the instructions in Help for creating a windows self-extractor.
> Sadly, 'file' on the resulting .exe says it's just a zip file.
> The help file says you can convert a .zip to a .exe
> using File / Convert, but that crashes with
> Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xffffffff in 16-bit
> code (12e7:be9a).
> deep inside pkzip.
> So I tried the 32 bit version, which according to
> can
> do it cross-platform.
> But when I tried
> with
> wine PKZIP25.EXE -add -sfx=win16 test *.TXT
> it said
> PKZIP: (E5) Unknown or illegal sub-option - sfx=win16
> which, I think, means you have to be using a registered copy
> to do cross-platform self-extractors.
> I also tried the DOS version, and that just hung (grumble).
> Anyone figured out a way to do this yet?
> I filed a bug for a console problem related to pkzip,
> but not the crash yet.
> Perhaps the failure to create a real self-extractor
> is another bug, I haven't tried on windows xp yet.
> - Dan

Pau Garcia i Quiles