Compile info patch

Zachary Goldberg zgold550 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 11:31:22 CST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 11:10 AM, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 7:27 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> > This stuff has nothing to do in the code, particularly not in the
> > loader. If you want to check the result of configure you should look at
> > config.log. If you want to know whether a given feature is supported,
> > you should try to make use of it; for instance open the audio tab in
> > winecfg to find out which sound drivers are working, etc.
>
> It would be kind of nice if this information was somewhere for binary
> builds. Unless of course you mean the rpm/deb packagers should ship
> with a config.log....
>

> --
> Steven Edwards
>
> "There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and
> that is an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo

Even if the config.log was shipped, my feelings are thus:

There will always be people in #wine asking for help who are fairly
hopeless to find and parse through a config.log, no matter how good
wine gets.  I agree that competent users and devs could easily find
this information; heck most of them probably would know all that
information without even needing to look for their own systems.  But
for the sake of helping people on #wine help users in debugging
issues, I think this could be a help.

Just 2 cents,
--Zach