bug 9986

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sat Dec 29 13:39:23 CST 2007

* On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> * On 10/26/07, Reece Dunn wrote:

> > > That's good general advice, but hard to implement without a serial
> > > device to test against, which our test systems won't have.
> >
> > You could always skip the tests when a serial connection is not
> > present. That way, you get coverage on systems that do have them. It
> > should be possible to configure Virtual Machines that have serial
> > ports suitable for use in these tests.
> You can emulate a serial port, but that requires kernel-mode drivers
> in at least Windows, and emulating hardware that plugs into the
> emulated port isn't much easier.

Yes, but this is possible. I believe, the ideal state would be when MinGW
support for compiling device drivers + Wine support for running KMD is
good enough.

It probably should be a separate software project, though, as it will
require very specific driver coding and testing-on-Windows manpower.  No?