IDirectSound and Unknown IID

Guillaume B. guillaume.benny at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 31 13:23:59 CST 2007

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

> Am Montag, 31. Dezember 2007 14:51:26 schrieb Guillaume B.:
>> Stefan Dösinger wrote:
>> >
>> > Huh, that IID is really Unknown... Google only finds your mail, and one
>> > other similar unanswered question.
>> >
>> > This will be tricky to figure out. The best starting point is probably
>> > to write a small test which queries this interface on Windows and see
>> > what happens. See dlls/dsound/tests for other dsound tests.
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I know it's unknown, that's why I asked! :) I thought someone might have
>> an idea: some kind of hardware specific IID maybe... It might be
>> documented somewhere in the DirectX SDK...
> If it was documented in the directx sdk, Google would have found it, since
> the sdk docs are available online at www.msdn.com

 I've searched thought it anyway but I could not find anything about it.

 I've set up a dummy COM object with a virtual table so I can see what
functions get called. In this virtual table, the 4th function get called
first, then the 3rd function. I know that the 3rd function is Release() so
all I need is to understand what are the parameters and the return type of
the 4th function. The return type is probably HRESULT: if I return S_OK, it
continues but crashes farther but if I return E_NOTIMPL, it releases all
music and sound COM object and it continues the game without sound, like if
it detected an error.

 I wanted to use winedbg to see the assembly code that calls my dummy
function (to see how many parameters there are) but even when I add a
breakpoint for my function, it doesn't break. I've compiled Wine with
CFLAGS="-g" to get the debug information but it doesn't work... Any idea?

 Thanks,

 Guillaume