Getting Fallout 2 to work well

Joonas Koivunen joonas.koivunen at
Wed Feb 7 14:43:41 CST 2007

2007/2/5, Mitchell Mebane <mitchell.mebane at>:
>  Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Freitag 02 Februar 2007 08:34 schrieb Joonas Koivunen:
>  Profiling with oprofile (GDI session) shows that most of the time is used
> in the game (I suppose it's the "anon" from wine-preload), next most time
> consuming is winex11 drivers X11DRV_DIB_SetImageBits which seems to be
> doing the conversion.
>  It seems that you have a game that has problems with the gdi engine(or lack
> thereof):
>  How much work would this be? I know nothing about Windows or X11
> programming, but is it something that I might be able to study up on and
> propose for a Summer of Code project?
> --mmebane

For the past days, after Stefan pointed me to that bug and article, I've
been trying to figure out what would be needed in order to fasten at least
Fallout 2 up.

I haven't been able to pinpoint any call made by the game requesting an
image from X, and it always blits the whole screen at a time. Doing 640x480
8bpp -> 32bpp seems to be the problem and the fact that it does as many as
possible blits. Nor have I been able to find a call asking it to blend two
surfaces.. Could someone give me any hints on this?

The 8bpp -> 32bpp conversion could possibly be optimized.. But I haven't yet
looked at it.

A bit out of topic; playing fallout2.exe makes X11 grow much larger, and it
doesn't seem to free the memory.

A SoC project sounds great!

-- Joonas Koivunen