Some thoughts about the ominous DIB Engine

Rolf Kalbermatter r.kalbermatter at hccnet.nl
Sat Feb 10 02:49:18 CST 2007

Felix Nawothnig wrote:

>I suggested to do all the work server-side a while back:
>
>http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2005-July/038695.html
>
>Especially see:
>
>http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2005-July/038703.html

Well, this would mostly mirror the Windows architecture nowadays where
almost all of this is in win32k.sys and GDI32 is mostly a user space
wrapper around that. A bit like ntdll does for kernel operations.

But I would be a bit concerned about performance if most calls have to
be passed to the server side to be handled but maybe that is not really
an issue? Didn't MS put part of the GDI somehow back in user space when
going from NT4 to 2K just because of performance concerns?

Would still remain the question where and how to hook this into dib
handling but I think GDI would be better. Basically call the dc driver
and if that fails branch into the local dibeng API for apropriate
functions.

Rolf Kalbermatter