signedness/WINAPI changing question

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Sun Feb 11 04:50:32 CST 2007

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Joris Huizer wrote:
> I find some function
> pstream, LONG lSample)
> (in the avifil32 dll), the second parameter should
> really be an ULONG instead of a LONG. It'd fix the
> signedness problems.
> My question is, is such a change allowed?

No. Our headers must match the PSDK ones otherwise it would cause
trouble for people trying to recompile Windows code with them. Since the
PSDK says the second parameter is a LONG, that's what we have to use

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're different.