GPU performance counters, agp usage

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Feb 13 19:17:38 CST 2007

Hi,
I've had a look at various performance counters of my nvidia card with
nvperfkit and nvperfgraph while running half-life 2. The first thing I
noticed was that the gpu was approximately 75% to 90% idle, while one cpu
core was 100% busy and the other completely idle. More to that later.

The other interesting thing was that "OGL driver waiting" was at 100% and agp
usage was beyond what nvperfgraph could show. This seems to happen with any
application that uses opengl in wine, including very simple d3d apps(Moto
racer 2, Direct3D1) and opengl apps(Jedi academy). when the application quits
the counters fall back to 0 immediately.

On the other hand, a native Linux application(ut2004, 64 bit) does not cause
any change in the driver waiting and the agp usage stays at zero. (makes me
wonder a bit how useful those counters are). For wine it is enough to
successfully create a d3d device or opengl context. Just a
IDirect3D9::CreateDevice does it.

Regarding the 75% idle, I think that is comparably ok. Native ut2004 shows the
same behavior. So either the games are broken, or I have a way to overpowered
gpu(geforce 7600) for my cpu(athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+).

Any ideas regarding the agp usage? Could a badly chosen pixel format cause the
trouble?

Cheers,
Stefan