How complete will Wine ever be for older apps?

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 09:15:24 CST 2007

Sort of an open-ended question to developers :)  It's obvious that Wine
functionality will always lag behind Windows releases somewhat.

But how accurate / complete do people think it will eventually be against
older Windows releases? Is much development work even still being done on
things that don't quite work as expected within apps that were current at the
time of say NT4?

I'm just trying to build up a picture in my head of whether there will come a
day when Wine users can pick an app designed for a previous generation of
Windows and expect it to work flawlessly (ignoring things that try to
manipulate the hardware directly, I suppose)? Or will there always be
incompatibilities?

cheers

Jules