Using InternalGetWindowText Instead of Sending WM_GETTEXT when Drawing Window Captions

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Mon Feb 26 09:20:29 CST 2007

Robert Shearman <rob at> writes:

> Hi Alexandre,
> A patch of yours from 2.5 years ago
> (;h=b72994b6d4a04352e18934cd3fbe51749b7da234)
> changed the behaviour to not send WM_GETTEXT any more. My experiments
> on Windows show that WM_GETTEXT should be used. Can you remember what
> the reasoning behind the change in this patch was?

Probably to avoid potential deadlocks; I'm not sure there's one
correct way, IIRC Win2k doesn't send them but XP does. Do you have
something that depends on receiving them?

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at