What to do about apps that require 256-color mode?

Dan Kegel dank06 at kegel.com
Mon Jan 1 21:47:53 CST 2007

On 1/1/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> > So what's Wine to do?  Can we somehow tell Wine
> > to emulate 256 color mode for particular apps?
>
> If it is a DirectDraw application then wine will emulate 256 color
> mode(palettized colors).

The app in question is "I Spy Junior", which seems to have been
written in 1999 using Macromedia (probably Director).
It has a free trial which can be downloaded at
http://www.scholastic.com/kids/downloads2go/productDetail.asp?productid=5&speed=broad
but the trial doesn't get as far as the real app,
it seems to get stuck even in 8 bpp mode before
putting up a window.  (I'll file a bug...)
- Dan