appdb rating inflation

* * richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 21:14:19 CST 2007

On 1/2/07, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> As Chris Morgan pointed out,
> http://appdb.winehq.org/help/?sTopic=maintainer_ratings
> might need clarification.  It now says
>
> -- snip --
> Platinum
> An application can be rated as Platinum if it installs and runs "out
> of the box" No changes required to winecfg.
>
> Gold
> Application works flawlessly with some DLL overrides or other
> settings, crack etc.
>
> Silver
> Application works excellently for 'normal' use; a game works fine in
> single-player but not in multi-player, Windows Media Player works fine
> as a plug-in and stand-alone player, but can't handle DRM etc.
> -- snip --
>
> I'd like to change this to make it clear that cracks are a no-no for
> anything Silver and above, and make Platinum and Gold rather
> more rigorous:
>
> -- snip --
> Platinum
> Platinum applications install normally and run flawlessly.
> No manual editing of files, no winecfg settings, no native DLLs, no third-party
> install scripts, and no cracks are allowed for a Platinum rating.
>
> Gold
> Gold applications install normally and run well.
> Some cosmetic problems may be present, but they should not be noticable
> to the average user.
> No manual editing of files, no winecfg settings, no native DLLs, no
> third-party install scripts, and no cracks are allowed for a Gold
> rating.

How about still permitting required native DLLs, but only if an
installer is available as a  download from Microsoft or the
application developer (but not third party), and no manual editing on
the user's part, manual file copying, settings, or cracks?

This would include, for instance, any program that installs and runs
after installing MS Installer 3.0 Unicode package.