appdb rating inflation

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Jan 3 18:20:15 CST 2007

Louis wrote:
> IMHO it's far more important to have a good written
> HOWTO, than a rating. I'd say a rating like
> satisfying/not satisfying would be enough, and an application
> shouldn't have rating without a HOWTO.

You really expect people to have to read HOWTOs?
Windows users certainly don't expect to, why should Wine users?

Ratings can be quite useful for helping people find good apps;
a gold rating should imply
"doesn't need a HOWTO because it pretty much just works".

Any app that needs a HOWTO is probably running into wine bugs of some sort.
- Dan