[try 3] systray patches

Kirill K. Smirnov lich at math.spbu.ru
Tue Jan 9 10:32:14 CST 2007

> It's not transparent,
  Hm... Yes, it is not transparent. It is pseudo-transparent. Just for us.

> it's painted with what you hope is the same
> background as the parent, but there's no guarantee of that.
Xlib thinks opposite.
The window will be painted with the same background as the parent (not a copy
of parent pixmap, but the same pixmap). It will be even correctly tiled to
provide 'pseudo-transparency'!
Xlib programming manual guarentee that:
http://www.cptec.inpe.br/sx4/sx4man2/g1ae02e/chap3.html chapter 3.2.1.

  The main ideas I based upon:
 1) the parent window does not paint anything under our window. If there will
be smth, then pseudo-transparency will be broken.
 2)  Any sane systray implementation satisfies 1).
 3) KDE/fluxbox/other systrays are sane.

The link:
http://www.nabble.com/-Gaim-gtk-bugs----gaim-gtk-bugs-1370422---Tray-icon-not-transparent-in-KDE-p5884984.html
provides some information (KDE):
[quote]
"The code of those applications needs to be changed to
perform XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap( dpy, window,
ParentRelative ) on the X window that is used as the
systray icon. There's
nothing KDE can do about this, you need to ask the app
developers to support this fake transparency."
[/quote]

Or I miss something really important? If so, just provide a use-case, please!!

-- Kirill