[try 3] systray patches

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Jan 9 10:41:47 CST 2007

"Kirill K. Smirnov" <lich at math.spbu.ru> writes:

>   The main ideas I based upon:
>  1) the parent window does not paint anything under our window. If there will
> be smth, then pseudo-transparency will be broken.
>  2)  Any sane systray implementation satisfies 1).
>  3) KDE/fluxbox/other systrays are sane.
>
> The link:
> http://www.nabble.com/-Gaim-gtk-bugs----gaim-gtk-bugs-1370422---Tray-icon-not-transparent-in-KDE-p5884984.html
> provides some information (KDE):
> [quote]
> "The code of those applications needs to be changed to
> perform XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap( dpy, window,
> ParentRelative ) on the X window that is used as the
> systray icon. There's
> nothing KDE can do about this, you need to ask the app
> developers to support this fake transparency."
> [/quote]
>
> Or I miss something really important? If so, just provide a use-case, please!!

Well, for instance if the parent is a Wine window, which would be the
case when someone implements systray handling in desktop mode, it
would break since Wine windows are not painted with the background
pixmap.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily opposed to doing pseudo-transparency, if
you can find a way to do it cleanly, i.e. without adding special cases
for systray windows all over the place.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org