WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers on system with 1 parallel CUPS printer

Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov ploujj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 22:15:31 CST 2007

Hi,
I'm sending this message to both wine-users and wine-devel in hopes of
getting help from someone with knowledge of Wine's internals.

I've had this problem for a while, but only recently have I realized
that I better fix it soon!
I compile my own Wine out of git. Currently, I'm running
wine-0.9.29-g5441536 but this issue appeared long before that.
Moreover, I stopped being able to print between Wine updates, so I
don't think it is anything to do with changes in Wine's code.
The simplest way to reproduce my problem is try printing in notepad.
First, I open notepad:
$ WINEDEBUG=+winspool wine notepad
trace:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers
trace:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers

Next, I type some text. Then I go to "File -> Printer Setup". Wine
outputs this to the console:

trace:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers
fixme:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters We don't handle PRINTER_ENUM_CONNECTIONS

and I see a message box saying:
"Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or
printing a document, you need to install a printer. Please install one
and retry."

I've tried deleting and re-creating my ~/.wine multiple times.
I know that wine is compiled with CUPS support
$ ~/apps/wine-git/configure --x-libraries=/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/
LDFLAGS="-L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib -L/emul/linux/x86/lib"
--without-libcapi20 --without-libhal --without-libicu
--without-libldap --without-libsane > /tmp/wine-config
$ grep -i cups /tmp/wine-config
checking cups/cups.h usability... yes
checking cups/cups.h presence... yes
checking for cups/cups.h... yes
checking for -lcups soname... libcups.so

I have a local CUPS printer installed on my system:
$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: HPDeskjet710c
device for HPDeskjet710c: parallel:/dev/lp0
HPDeskjet710c accepting requests since Thu Jan 18 20:26:33 2007
printer HPDeskjet710c is idle.  enabled since Thu Jan 18 20:26:33 2007

and I am able to print to it from other Linux applications.

I considered tracing the winespool code ot see where it fails to find
my printer, but it looks way too cryptic for my uninitiated eyes.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Libre Software: