WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers on system with 1 parallel CUPS printer

Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov ploujj at
Sat Jan 20 22:15:31 CST 2007

I'm sending this message to both wine-users and wine-devel in hopes of
getting help from someone with knowledge of Wine's internals.

I've had this problem for a while, but only recently have I realized
that I better fix it soon!
I compile my own Wine out of git. Currently, I'm running
wine-0.9.29-g5441536 but this issue appeared long before that.
Moreover, I stopped being able to print between Wine updates, so I
don't think it is anything to do with changes in Wine's code.
The simplest way to reproduce my problem is try printing in notepad.
First, I open notepad:
$ WINEDEBUG=+winspool wine notepad
trace:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers
trace:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers

Next, I type some text. Then I go to "File -> Printer Setup". Wine
outputs this to the console:

trace:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters Found 0 printers
fixme:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrinters We don't handle PRINTER_ENUM_CONNECTIONS

and I see a message box saying:
"Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or
printing a document, you need to install a printer. Please install one
and retry."

I've tried deleting and re-creating my ~/.wine multiple times.
I know that wine is compiled with CUPS support
$ ~/apps/wine-git/configure --x-libraries=/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/
LDFLAGS="-L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib -L/emul/linux/x86/lib"
--without-libcapi20 --without-libhal --without-libicu
--without-libldap --without-libsane > /tmp/wine-config
$ grep -i cups /tmp/wine-config
checking cups/cups.h usability... yes
checking cups/cups.h presence... yes
checking for cups/cups.h... yes
checking for -lcups soname...

I have a local CUPS printer installed on my system:
$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: HPDeskjet710c
device for HPDeskjet710c: parallel:/dev/lp0
HPDeskjet710c accepting requests since Thu Jan 18 20:26:33 2007
printer HPDeskjet710c is idle.  enabled since Thu Jan 18 20:26:33 2007

and I am able to print to it from other Linux applications.

I considered tracing the winespool code ot see where it fails to find
my printer, but it looks way too cryptic for my uninitiated eyes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Libre Software: