programs/winefontcfg: Add winefontcfg

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Jul 12 11:29:32 CDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2007 16:54 schrieb Dan Kegel:
> VJ wrote:
> > Is it possible to have a separate tab for fonts in winecfg, rather
> > than a separate program.
> > Its my opinion of winefontcfg, rather than having a collection of
> > configuration tools. Better have one.
>
> That's the wrong direction, I think, and here's why:
> Native uses separate tools for *everything*, tied together
> in a Control Panel.  I'd like to see us go that route instead.
> It would make it easier to support third-party control
> panel applets.
>
> Now, Wine does support control panel applets, I think, but
> it's a pain in the ass to run them because we don't provide a
> menu entry called Control Panel that shows the applets
> graphically.   (Presumably this behavior belongs in explorer,
> since it's done on native with shell folders.)  How hard would
> it be to throw this together?  We could make winecfg show up
> as a control panel applet for now, and then slowly start breaking
> its tabs out into applets as the whim hits us.
I am not sure if it is a good idea to wrap the winecfg functionality into
something complex like a control panel applet(which is tied to shell folders
in some way). A user can easilly break core parts of wine with winecfg. The
more complex the requirements for winecfg are the more likely it is that a
user can't get back into winecfg to undo a bad option.

On the other hand Dan makes a valid point here. This is just how windows
works. And it is already possible to break a wineprefix in a way that is not
reversible with winecfg(e.g. set ole32 = "native").

The third thing is that in the long run winecfg should vanish. Wine shouldn't
need any configuration on its own, except maybe drive bindings and windows
version.