SUBLANG Rules

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Thu Jul 12 20:01:56 CDT 2007

Torsdag 12 juli 2007 19:24, skrev Colin Finck:
> Hello,
>
> The Wiki page at http://wiki.winehq.org/SublangNeutral says that specific
> SUBLANGs should be used for the languages Chinese, Norwegian and
> Portuguese. This is okay if you always have a translation specifically for
> every sublanguage of these languages, but we might run into problems if a
> translation for one of these sublanguages does not exist.
>
> For example if we have a translation for LANG_PORTUGUESE,
> SUBLANG_PORTUGUESE_BRAZILIAN, but don't have a translation for
> SUBLANG_PORTUGUESE_PORTUGAL and the user set his locale to "Portuguese
> (Portugal)", he will see the English translation, although we have a
> Brazilian Portuguese translation.
> If we would use SUBLANG_NEUTRAL here, the same translation would be used
> for both Portuguese variants.
>
> The question is now: What are the preferences of these users? Would it be
> better for them if they see the Brazilian Portuguese translation or the
> English one?
> The same goes for Chinese and Norwegian users, if we only have one
> translation for these languages.
>
> It would be nice if some native Chinese, Norwegian and Portuguese speakers
> could share their opinion about this.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Colin Finck

As for Norwegian, if you set your locale to the other variant (Nynorsk), you
expect the text to be in Nynorsk instead of Bokmål.  Sure enough, if you can
read one you can read the other, but such users will in nearly all cases be
able to use the English version as well.  I think the best thing is for Wine
to support things like
LC_ALL="nn nb"
LANG="nn nb"
because even though we provide a Nynorsk translation, most programs will only
be available in Bokmål.

I'm pretty sure Traditional and Simplified Chinese are quite different, as are
Brazilian and Portugese Portugese.

Regards,

Alexander N. Sørnes