Should Wine move to LGPL 3?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:22:21 CDT 2007

On 7/13/07, Ian Macfarlane <ian at ianmacfarlane.com> wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask about this since (L)GPL3 was released.

I'd also like to weigh in on my reasons for liking the (L)GPLv3. The
termination clause is clarified and a grace period added for
compliance. As it stands right now, if someone was to inadvertently
not adhere to the terms of a (L)GPLv2 program an over zealous major
contributor could revoke distribution rights downstream to the
offender even if the offender was in the process of trying to remedy
the situation.

It may only be a technicality but this bothers me. When corporate
powers, with their own motives of profit outweigh commitment to
FreeSoftware, are major contributors all the loopholes have to be
closed. Imagine a world where SCO had contributed a lot of (L)GPL code
and then they had gotten lucky to find a technicality in the license
to revoke it for everyone.

--
Steven Edwards