SUBLANG Rules

Colin Finck mail at colinfinck.de
Sat Jul 14 09:09:00 CDT 2007

Alexander N. Sørnes wrote:
> As for Norwegian, if you set your locale to the other variant
> (Nynorsk), you
> expect the text to be in Nynorsk instead of Bokmål.  Sure
> enough, if you can
> read one you can read the other, but such users will in
> nearly all cases be
> able to use the English version as well.

Good point.

> because even though we provide a Nynorsk translation, most
> programs will only
> be available in Bokmål.

By the way, do you know what's the sublanguage of the Norwegian Windows
here.
Is it only available in Bokmål or in both variants?

> I'm pretty sure Traditional and Simplified Chinese are quite
> different, as are
> Brazilian and Portugese Portugese.

For Simplified and Traditional Chinese, I also think so, but not for
Portuguese.

If you look at the Portuguese resource files, which contain translations for
both Brazilian and Portuguese Portuguese, you see that they are very
similar.
I also heard that Brazilian Portuguese vs. Portuguese from Portugal is like
American English vs. British English, but it would be nice if a native
Portuguese speaker could say something about this.

Best regards,

Colin