git is to overwhelming

RusH citizenr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:47:31 CDT 2007

On 6/3/07, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> RusH wrote:
> > Maybe im just to stupid for it :(
> > I want to use git to download most current source, try my patches,
> > then to again download most current source. I cant do it.
> > wiki.winehq.org/GitWine
> > doesnt help at all.
> You probably should read main documentation about GIT then. What we have
> on wiki is small pieces of information for people who some-what knows GIT.

but i dont want to know git, i just want to download latest source snapshot.

> > For example I had wine-0.9.37 fetched, added few patches, compiled it,
> > installed locally, all was fun and games, Now I want to bring my local
> > tree to current level, but cant. I did :
> [skipped fruitless attempts at braking GIT tree]
>
> > rasz at capek:/media/hdc6/home/rasz/source/wine$ git fetch ; git rebase origin
> > dlls/user32/tests/menu.c: needs update
>
> What this tells you is that you have modified dlls/user32/tests/menu.c

No i didnt. I only modified 2 files in wine/dlls/ws2_32/tests. Thats
why Im so flustrated. What Git echoes on the screen is is all random
garbage to me :/

> file. And you either have to commit it, or discard the changes. If you
> have your modifications in the GIT tree - commit them! If you don't care
> about any changes in your tree, do 'git checkout -f'.

I did, twice :) and it still complained about something.

> 'git reset HEAD^' does something _completely_ different from what you
> want. It "undoes" the last commit without modifying the source. You
> should only use it to edit your own patches that you just committed.

I dont want to commit anything. Source of my flustration comes from
using SVN earlier. In SVN doing 'svn update' will just download latest
snapshot, nothing more nothing less, thats what I want from GIT, I
dont want to learn it, i dont want to have own tree with own patches,
merge commit, submit, none of it. I just want to download latest code,
and it takes me 10 minutes typing random commands from
wiki.winehq.org/GitWine and hoping for the best until git diff is
silent and other commands dont complain "blabla needs update".

So in summary, could someone please add a simple _"svn update" git
replacement_ to the wiki?

--
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.