OpenGL 2.3 to 3.0

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 5 18:03:29 CDT 2007

Am Dienstag, 5. Juni 2007 21:17 schrieb Matthew Clark:
> I was reading the other day about the 2.3 and 3.0 versions of the OpenGL
> API coming out this year(
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39846 ) and the first
> thought I had was wine and DX10. I was wondering what you guys thought
> about this, are you excited(as I am)? are you hesitant? Knowing OpenGL
> it shouldn't be hard at all to port the code over, but are there plans
> already or are the plans to wait till it's in our faces to worry about
> it?  Sorry for the tangent but I was just curious to hear what you guys
> had to say about this.^_^
We are waiting for the final API before deciding if we like it or not. But
from what I've read so far the changes make sense.

My concern is backwards compatiblity. For dx 1 to dx9 we will still need the
old apis. For one part because the new api may not offer fixed function
functionality, but more importantly because old cards will most likely not
see any driver updates.

If the interface is vastly different we'll need 2 d3d implementations, one
wrapping to old gl and one for the new version. An idea would be to just
leave dx1 to 9 with gl 2.0 and write dx10 only for opengl 3.0.

If the new API allows it however, we want to keep the wine code unified. This
could happen by simply duplicating very specific functions which are
different, and then select them at creation time by choosing a different
virtual function table. If we need an if condition for every opengl call we
do it would be pointless to keep everything in one lib.

But we need to know the final opengl 3.0 API to decide what to do.