Seeking advice for rewrite of dlls/quartz/videorenderer.c using DirectDraw

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Tue Jun 12 17:15:45 CDT 2007

 From a time till now, I am using a test application in Visual Basic in
order to test progress in quartz. The code for the application (along
with a precompiled EXE) can be found at the following address:

http://www.palosanto.com/~a_villacis/WMediaTest.tar.bz2

One of the things I dislike about the current quartz implementation is
that when a large AVI video file (say, 640x480) is played with the test
application, the sound stutters (in both ALSA and OSS) while the frames
are being updated. This occurs with the builtin quartz.dll, but not with
native (WinXP) quartz. From what I can deduce from
WINEDEBUG=+tid,+quartz , it seems that builtin feeds video and audio in
the same thread. In addition, dlls/quartz/videorenderer.c uses
StretchDIBits() in order to write one frame of video into the output
window. Apparently StretchDIBits() is slow enough in my machine that it
cannot complete by the next sound sample. Therefore the stuttering.

I made a little patch to move the video rendering in videorender.c into
a separate thread, in order to allow it to drop frames. However this
does not completely eliminate the stuttering audio. I am now thinking
about rewriting the video rendering with DirectDraw. It seems that
native quartz.dll uses DirectDraw, not GDI, to display video frames into
the output window.

One thing I am worried about is the pixel format of the surfaces. The
video data is 32bpp, but the output window uses my X config at 16bpp.
However, nowhere in the ddraw trace of native quartz I can find any
reference to a CreateSurface with 32bpp. It seems that native quartz
does the depth conversion itself. The question is this: if I create a 32
bpp surface (in order to lock it and write the 32 bpp frame data into
it), can I then blit it into a 16 bpp output window and somehow let
DirectDraw take care of the depth conversion? If so, can this be any
faster than writing the depth conversion myself?

Alex Villacís Lasso

--
perl -e '$x=2.4;print sprintf("%.0f + %.0f = %.0f\n",$x,$x,$x+$x);'