Building Wine with the lsb sdk, take 2

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 09:14:33 CDT 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007 11:35:27 Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> What's the long term plan for an LSB build of wine? Would we drop the
> dozen or so different distro packages and have 1 official binary, like
> samba is supposedly planning to do?

While I don't know what Wine's plans for this are, I'm 100% positive that the
Samba team is not planning to do any LSB releases. Samba needs various low
level features that LSB doesn't provide, and you don't really want a binary
without those features.

However, for the Wine side of things, the tradeoff is different. Samba has a
(non-security) release once every couple of months. Wine is churning out
releases every other week. Also, at Wine we're creating our binaries
ourselves. I guess the real question is if a LSB-wine could be kept at a
reasonable size with a reasonable set of features in order to replace the
different distro packages.

Cheers,
Kai

--