[4/5] D3D8: Convert FVFs to vertex declarations

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Jun 19 11:44:15 CDT 2007

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2007 14:05 schrieb H. Verbeet:
> On 19/06/07, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Yeah, HeapReAlloc works on object->decls with 0 bytes allocated, but not
> > on a NULL pointer. It keeps the array growing simpler. I can just use
> > HeapReAlloc unconditionally instead of something like this
>
> Well yes, but why not simply start with a >0 size?
The idea is to avoid allocating unneeded memory as long as we don't know if
the app is going to use fvfs at all. D3D8 can be used without setting any
fvf, so I don't want to allocate more memory than needed for a feature that
isn't necessarily used.

Obviously there is a little memory requirement for the heap management
structures that belong to a 0 byte allocation. But extra code to check if
This->decls is NULL + a HeapAlloc call need a few bytes too...

I can change that to allocate one or two start entries, but I personally think
that 0 bytes are good to start with here.